Maybank Championship Postponed Due to Covid-19
The Maybank Championship, due to take place at Saujana Golf and Country Club in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, from April 16-19, 2020 has been postponed due to the outbreak of Corona-virus (Covid-19).
The Asian Tour and European Tour accepted a request from title sponsor and promoter Maybank to postpone the Maybank Championship.
Discussions are ongoing with all parties looking into the possibility of rescheduling the tournament later this season.
Cho Minn Thant, Commissioner and CEO of the Asian Tour said: “We respect the decision made by the various key stakeholders of the Maybank Championship. We understand their concerns over the evolving Covid-19 situation which is a major international health issue and we look forward to the return of the Maybank Championship when the situation normalises.”
Datuk Abdul Farid Alias, Group President & CEO of Maybank, said: “The decision to postpone the Maybank Championship was made after intense deliberation and careful consideration in the interest of all the players, visitors, working teams and partners.
“The postponement of the Maybank Championship was not an easy decision to make, however, the safety of all stakeholders takes precedence, and we want to ensure that any risk of possible exposure to Covid-19 is mitigated. We will monitor the situation and work closely with the European and Asian Tours, as well as our other partners, as we plan for our return in the future.”
The Volvo China Open, scheduled the following week from April 23-26, 2020 at Genzon Golf Club in Shenzhen, has also been postponed due to the virus.
Keith Pelley, Chief Executive of the European Tour, said: “The well-being of our players, spectators and staff is always our absolute priority. While it is therefore regrettable that the Maybank Championship and Volvo China Open have been postponed, we feel this is the correct course of action at this time. We are currently investigating alternative dates for both events.”
- Strong Line-Up Primed for Faldo Series Malaysia Championship
- Malaysian Open 2020 to Proceed as Scheduled
- Maybank Championship Postponed Due to Covid-19
- Panasonic Swing Concludes in Kyoto
- Ishikawa Heads to Mexico with Eye on PGA Tour Return
- PXG’s Newest GEN3 0311 Irons Introduced by MST Golf
- Woods Aims to Create History at Genesis Invitational
- Prize Money Boost for Mercuries Taiwan Masters
- Crew Clothing Company Announced as Official Clothing Partner for the Staysure Tour
- Honda LPGA Thailand and HSBC Women’s World Championship in Singapore Cancelled Due to Coronavirus
- More news...