Aussie Ormsby Wins the Hong Kong Open
Australia’s Wade Ormsby won the Hong Kong Open for the second time when he cruised to victory by closing with a four-under-par 66 at the Hong Kong Golf Club on Sunday.
Unlike his first win at the Hong Kong Open in 2017 where he won by a single shot, Ormsby enjoyed a more comfortable victory as he triumphed by four shots over Major champion Shane Lowry of Ireland.
The Australian did not get off to the best of starts when he stumbled with an opening bogey. However, he recovered quickly with three consecutive birdies from the second hole before adding another on nine to take a five-shot lead at the turn then.
Ormsby birdied 11 but dropped another shot on 15 before another birdie on 17 effectively confirmed his wire-to-wire victory as he closed with a winning total of 17-under-par.
Lowry surmounted a late charge by storming up the leaderboard with a 64, having started the day six shots back of Ormsby in a share of ninth place. However, his gallant efforts were not enough to catch the Australian and he had to settle for second place.
Thailand’s Gunn Charoenkul enjoyed yet another top-10 finish as he posted a 69 to take third place while 2019 Asian Tour Order of Merit champion, Jazz Janewattananond carded a 68 to take outright fourth place ahead of American Tony Finau, who finished in fifth place after a 67.
Leading scores after round 4 of the Hong Kong Open being played at the par 70, 6710 Yards Hong Kong GC course (am – denotes amateur):
263 – Wade Ormsby (AUS) 65-66-66-66.
267 – Shane Lowry (IRL) 69-66-68-64.
268 – Gunn Charoenkul (THA) 67-67-65-69.
269 – Jazz Janewattananond (THA) 68-66-67-68.
270 – Tony Finau (USA) 69-69-65-67.
271 – Rashid Khan (IND) 69-69-63-70.
272 – Charlie Wi (KOR) 73-68-65-66, Naoki Sekito (JPN) 73-67-65-67, Sadom Kaewkanjana (THA) 71-70-64-67, David Gleeson (AUS) 66-71-67-68, Tomoharu Otsuki (JPN) 65-71-67-69, Terry Pilkadaris (AUS) 68-69-64-71.
273 – Alexander Yang (am, HKG) 69-69-67-68, Yikeun Chang (KOR) 66-70-68-69, Travis Smyth (AUS) 66-68-69-70, Chan Shih-chang (TPE) 68-67-67-71, Taewoo Kim #1468 (KOR) 69-66-66-72.
274 – Joohyung Kim (KOR) 67-68-71-68, Angelo Que (PHI) 67-68-69-70, Prom Meesawat (THA) 67-68-69-70, Shiv Kapur (IND) 68-66-69-71.
275 – Jack Harrison (ENG) 69-68-69-69, Miguel Tabuena (PHI) 70-68-68-69, John Catlin (USA) 68-71-67-69, Paul Peterson (USA) 73-67-66-69, Phachara Khongwatmai (THA) 72-69-65-69, S.S.P. Chawrasia (IND) 70-63-69-73.
- Faldo Series Becomes Latest Signatory of the R&A’s Women in Golf Charter
- India’s Arjun Atwal Still Burns Bright
- PGA TOUR 2K21 – The Golf Game for Gamers!
- Presidents Cup Returns to The Royal Montreal Golf Club in 2024
- Morikawa Clinches First Major Victory While China’s Li Takes Positives from PGA Championship
- Korea’s An Settles for Tied 12th as Thomas Wins WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational
- Horsfield Earns Maiden Title at Hero Open
- Teen Titan Kim Wins the 2019/20 Panasonic Swing
- Korea’s Kang Leads Asian Charge in WGC-FedEx St Jude Invitational
- Asian Stars Aim Hope for Better Outing AT WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational
- More news...