Mastercard Builds on its Support of Women’s Golf with Sponsorship of the AIG Women’s British Open
Mastercard will become a partner of the AIG Women’s British Open for the next three years, starting with this year’s competition at Woburn Golf Club (August 1-4, 2019).
This sponsorship extends Mastercard’s brand presence at The Open and shows their commitment to gender equality in sports and demonstrates the continued focus on gender balanced marketing.
The announcement was made at a Mastercard-hosted Women’s Leadership Forum at Royal Portrush in support of The R&A’s Women in Golf Charter. Attending the event, Mastercard golf Ambassador Annika Sorenstam commented: “Helping encourage the participation of women in the great game of golf is very important to me. Mastercard has long supported my foundation which provides opportunities for the next generation of junior girls through the game we love and now by becoming a partner of the Women’s British Open we have one of the game’s greatest platforms to encourage women and girls to get involved in golf.”
Ann Cairns, Executive Vice-Chairman of Mastercard commented: “Mastercard has been a long-standing advocate of diversity and inclusion through partnerships in women’s sport. This brand partnership with the AIG Women’s British Open, not only gives us the chance to directly support female golf athletes; but it also offers new opportunities to engage women and girls who are new to the game, as well as providing priceless experience to existing players and fans from across the world.”
Martin Slumbers, Chief Executive of The R&A commented: “The R&A enjoys a long association with Mastercard as a Patron of The Open and we are now delighted to see this relationship extend to the AIG Women’s British Open. We very much welcome Mastercard’s commitment to growing women’s golf in providing mentors for our Women in Golf Leadership Development Programme, part of its support of the Women in Golf Charter.”
As part of the partnership, fans will receive a £5 saving on entry tickets bought onsite at the AIG Women’s British Open when paying with Mastercard and further cardholder offers will be made available to fans and spectators at Woburn during the championship.
Broadcast in 129 countries across the world, the British Women’s Open is the most established and historic major championship in women’s golf. The 2019 championship will be the 44th edition.
- Callaway’s Epic Championship
- Green Sparkles with 64 at Czech Masters
- Malaysia’s Leong in Three-Way Tie for Lead at the Sarawak Championship
- Asia’s Haotong Li and C.T. Pan on Verge of Qualifying for the International Team
- Korea’s Sungjae Im and Si Woo Kim Plan Speedy Success at BMW Championship
- Kisner Wins MetLife MatchUp Fan Vote, Wins US$750,000 for Charity
- PGA Tour’s Brooks Koepka Wins Aon Risk Reward Challenge and US$1 Million
- European Tour Announces Early Part of 2020 Schedule
- Six Asians Remain in Race for FedexCup After Conclusion of the Northern Trust
- Thailand’s Kiradech Endures Bittersweet First Season
- More news...