Thailand’s Jazz Wins Kolon Korea Open Championship
Rising star Jazz Janewattananond of Thailand held his nerves to claim his fourth Asian Tour victory and a second one this season at the 62nd Kolon Korea Open Golf Championship on Sunday.
Jazz, who extended his overnight two-shot lead to five after sinking three birdies in his opening seven holes, overcame a wild triple-bogey on the par-four 11th hole and a bogey on 14th to become the first foreign winner of the prestigious event since American Rickie Fowler in 2011.
The 23-year-old Jazz signed for a closing one-over-par 72 to win by one shot over Korea’s Innchoon Hwang with a six-under-par 278 total in the KRW 1,200 million (approximately US$1,067,000) event, co-sanctioned by the Asian Tour and the Korea Golf Association (KGA).
Despite missing out on his second Asian Tour victory, Hwang took pride in his runner-up result, which not only marked his best finish in his National Open but also earned him a coveted spot at The Open next month where he will be making his Major debut.
He will be heading to Royal Portrush with compatriot Dongkyu Jang, who closed with a 72 to finish tied-fourth in the event, which offered two spots to The Open to the leading two players (not otherwise exempt) finishing in the top-eight and ties as part of The Open Qualifying Series.
American Chan Kim, who played on a sponsor’s invitation, marked his best efforts of the week with a closing 68 to settle two shots back of Jazz in third place while Korea’s Minjoon Kim matched his final round efforts to grab a share of fourth on 281.
The second qualifying spot went to Jang as he is ranked higher than Kim on the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR).
278 – Jazz Janewattananond (THA) 70-67-69-72.
279 – Innchoon Hwang (KOR) 67-69-73-70.
280 – Chan Kim (USA) 72-70-70-68.
281 – Minjun Kim (KOR) 71-70-72-68, Dongkyu Jang (KOR) 68-72-69-72.
282 – Kevin Na (USA) 68-72-71-71.
283 – Songgyu Yoo (KOR) 71-68-69-75.
284 – Kyongjun Moon (KOR) 67-73-70-74, Berry Henson (USA) 74-67-69-74.
285 – Scott Vincent (ZIM) 73-72-72-68, Richard T. Lee (CAN) 72-68-72-73, Prom Meesawat (THA) 71-68-71-75, Soomin Lee (KOR) 69-70-71-75.
286 – Doyeob Mun (KOR) 70-74-72-70, Sanghyun Park (KOR) 73-71-70-72, Bio Kim (KOR) 73-72-67-74.
- Mastercard Builds on its Support of Women’s Golf with Sponsorship of the AIG Women’s British Open
- Golf and Business Prepare to Change Lives at Berenberg Gary Player Invitational
- Comeback Queen Hanako Reigns at Faldo Series Vietnam Championship
- Laksamana Trophy Raises RM2.045 Million
- Acushnet Holdings Corp. Acquires KJUS, Innovator of Premium Sportswear Performance Products
- The R&A Announces Major Investment Into AIG Women’s British Open
- European Tour and the PGA of America Join Forces with NBC Sports for Global Ryder Cup Digital Platforms
- Asian Tour Appoints Tingey as Director of Partnerships
- The 45th RSGC Ladies Amateur Open Attracts Region’s Top Players
- Four Asian Stars in Prime Position to Make the International Team
- More news...