Vidic and Garcia Make Appearance at Maybank Championship
Fans at Saujana Golf & Country Club were treated to a Meet and Greet session with Manchester United and Barcelona football legends Nemanja Vidic and Luis Garcia, who also engaged in a friendly Takraw challenge, on the first day of the Maybank Championship.
The two stalwarts, who participated in the Pro-Am golf tournament yesterday and a promotional golf event the day before at Kota Permai Golf & Country Club, signed autographs and had selfies and other photos taken with football enthusiasts.
Garcia, the Barcelona star who also won the English FA Cup, FA Community Shield, European Champions League and UEFA Super Cup medals with Liverpool, said he was enjoying his stay in Malaysia, not least the golf.
“Our visit has been great,” he said while participating in some publicity activities.
Vidic, who appeared to be less affected by the morning heat, certainly looked much sharper in trying his hand at the Takraw.
It was at Saujana also, where former leading Malaysian golfer Shaaban Hussin signed autographs and interacted with some fans.
Stricken by a road accident in 2016 in which he lost a leg, Shaaban recently published a book entitled “Shaaban Hussin – Jatuh Bangun Seorang Juara” and now also teaches golf.
A member of the medal winning team at the 2001 SEA Games, Shaaban said there was a lot of young talent “out there” and that it needed to be nurtured, which would hold the sport in good stead.
- Kiradech Leads Asian Tour Charge at PGA Championship
- Panasonic Open India Moves to Nicklaus’ Classic Golf & Country Club
- Innovative World Invitational Unveiled on the European Challenge Tour
- Thai Ace Kiradech Enjoys Third Top-5 of Season at AT&T Byron Nelson
- Teenage Prodigy Kuang Eyes Faldo Series Shenzhen Championship Glory
- Rampant Rozner Earns Back-to-Back wins with Prague Triumph
- Kinhult’s the Master at Hillside
- China’s Liu Yan Holds Nerve to Win EFG Hong Kong Ladies Open
- Dr Handa Announced as Honorary Ambassador for Golfers with Disability Programme
- Japan’s Asaji Wins Asia-Pacific Diamond Cup
- More news...