Sungjae Im, Keith Mitchell and Sung Kang Qualify for The 148TH Open at the Arnold Palmer Invitational Presented by Mastercard
Sungjae Im, Keith Mitchell and Sung Kang have secured their places in The 148th Open after qualifying at the Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard.
It was the first time that the Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard has featured in The Open Qualifying Series, which gives golfers around the world opportunities to book their place at Royal Portrush from 14-21 July.
The PGA TOUR event was won by 2018 Champion Golfer of the Year Francesco Molinari after the Italian fired a magnificent bogey-free 64 in the final round to finish on a 12-under-par total of 276, two shots clear of runner-up Matthew Fitzpatrick. Both players were exempt from qualifying for The Open.
Im will make his first appearance in The Open after the Korean carded a final round 68 to finish in a tie for third place on a nine-under-par total of 279 with Rafa Cabrera Bello and Tommy Fleetwood, both of who were already exempt for The Open.
The 20-year-old, who won twice on the Web.com Tour in 2018, recorded his third top 10 finish on the PGA TOUR this season to seal the first of three qualifying places available for Royal Portrush this week.
Mitchell and Kang will join him at the famous Dunluce Links in July after finishing in a tie for sixth place on an eight-under-par total of 280 alongside 2014 Champion Golfer of the Year Rory McIlroy and Matt Wallace.
With McIlroy and Wallace, both exempt from qualifying for The Open, Mitchell and Kang claimed the two remaining qualifying places.
Mitchell earned his first PGA TOUR title at the Honda Classic last week and continued to enjoy a rich vein of form during today’s final round at Bay Hill. The 27-year-old carded eight birdies to post a 66 and book his place at Royal Portrush.
Kang will return to play in golf’s original championship for the third year running thanks to The Open Qualifying Series. The four-time Korean Tour winner qualified for The Open at the Quicken Loans National on the PGA TOUR in 2017 and 2018, and a final round 68 ensured the 31-year-old will play at Royal Portrush later this year.
- Kiradech Leads Asian Tour Charge at PGA Championship
- Panasonic Open India Moves to Nicklaus’ Classic Golf & Country Club
- Innovative World Invitational Unveiled on the European Challenge Tour
- Thai Ace Kiradech Enjoys Third Top-5 of Season at AT&T Byron Nelson
- Teenage Prodigy Kuang Eyes Faldo Series Shenzhen Championship Glory
- Rampant Rozner Earns Back-to-Back wins with Prague Triumph
- Kinhult’s the Master at Hillside
- China’s Liu Yan Holds Nerve to Win EFG Hong Kong Ladies Open
- Dr Handa Announced as Honorary Ambassador for Golfers with Disability Programme
- Japan’s Asaji Wins Asia-Pacific Diamond Cup
- More news...