Pepperell’s Ace Voted 2018 Shot of the Year
Eddie Pepperell’s unusual hole-in-one at the Sky Sports British Masters – his second European Tour title – has been voted the 2018 Shot of the Year by fans.
The Englishman produced the highlight of the day on Thursday with his maiden European Tour ace on the par three ninth hole at Walton Heath Golf Club. The 27-year-old hit the pin with his tee shot before the ball landed on the green and spun back into the cup to the delight of home crowds.
“This is very cool,” Pepperell said. “The British Masters was a massive tournament for me and that shot sparked off the week.
“With the wind, the ninth was a tough hole all week, picking the right club and ball flight was tricky. I hit a really good seven iron and it never left the pin. It obviously got lucky but it nearly went in on the fly. It’s one of the craziest aces I think I’ve seen.
“It’s nice to finish the year by winning Shot of the Year. I owe a massive thanks to all the fans who voted.”
Over the course of three weeks, Pepperell’s hole-in-one received nearly a quarter of all fan votes, narrowly topping Italian Renato Paratore’s miracle escape on the 72nd hole of the Porsche European Open, and beating out competition from the likes of Justin Thomas, Justin Rose and Russell Knox.
Pepperell joins Joost Luiten, Rory McIlroy, Shane Lowry, Jamie Donaldson, Henrik Stenson, Louis Oosthuizen and Graeme McDowell as the winners of the award since 2010.
- Thailand’s Jazz Wins Kolon Korea Open Championship
- Natasha Wins Ladies Title at the 117th Malaysian Amateur Open while Australia’s Lawry Flynn Captures the Men’s Title
- James Sugrue Wins The 124th Amateur Championship at Portmarnock
- PGA TOUR Announces Korn Ferry as Umbrella Sponsor of Newly Named Korn Ferry Tour
- Faldo Series Thailand Championship Hat-Trick for Weerawish
- The Greatest Feat in Junior Golf Asia
- 3Lyon Prestige Signs Partnership with Templer Park Country Club
- Emily Toy Wins The Women’s Amateur Championship at Royal County Down
- Kiradech Looms Large at Faldo Series Thailand Championship
- Thailand’s Kiradech Believes Maiden Win Within Touching Reach
- More news...