Yas Links Abu Dhabi Partners with Marriott Business Council to Raise Funds for Operation Smile UAE
The Links Fundraiser in partnership with Marriott Business Council made its debut on the Middle Eastern golfing calendar at the world-renowned Yas Links Abu Dhabi. Supported by Club Captains Carol Tweedie and Aart Lehmkuhl, the golf day was organised as a Team Shambles, with the event aiming to raise as much money as possible for good causes.
The official charity at the heart of the event is Operation Smile UAE, a non-profit medical service organisation which provides cleft lip and palate repair surgeries to children. Operation Smile works as a non-governmental organisation globally to reduce the occurrence of cleft lips and palates; develops ambassadorships to raise awareness of cleft issues; sponsors a world care programme for international cases requiring special care; organises foundations worldwide to assist countries in reaching self-sufficiency with cleft surgeries as well as administering worldwide education programmes related to cleft issues.
Morag Cromey-Hawke, Executive Director, Operation Smile UAE said, “Our job is to bring hope to families who have felt such anguish on behalf of their child. We are very lucky to see first-hand the difference our work does, particularly for parents. Events such as the Links Fundraiser are invaluable to us as an organisation, as a means of raising much-needed funds and it’s even more gratifying to know that those who have been so generous in helping us were able to enjoy themselves in the process and raise awareness of the work we do.”
Both Yas Links Abu Dhabi and Marriott Business Council UAE did their bit for the day by providing around eighty prizes in total for a raffle and a hotly contested silent auction, which was supported by the generous amateur players who travelled from afar to take part in the day’s action. Once in a lifetime experiences from Marriott International properties were auctioned, with the finest culinary teams from multiple hotels showcasing their best flavours. The event raised AED 93,500 for Operation Smile.
Matthias Widor, Cluster General Manager, The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa and Courtyard Marriott Abu Dhabi WTCcommented, “The Links Fundraiser was a fantastic, unique event. As there is nothing better than raising valuable funds whilst participants can simultaneously enjoy themselves whilst playing golf. I am sure everyone enjoyed the on-course competitions, prizes and superb food and beverage throughout. It was brilliant to welcome so many familiar faces as possible on the day and I hope that this will become a regular fixture on the golfing calendar for years to come.”
The Team Shambles saw the best two scores from each four-ball count, with an 85% handicap allowance. Players without a handicap played off zero. Guests paid AED 750 to play and members AED 250. Every entry saw 100 AED go towards the overall fundraising effort. A total of 78 players participated along with hotels including The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal, The Abu Dhabi Edition, Aloft Abu Dhabi, Courtyard by Marriott, Dubai Marriott Harbour Hotel & Suites, Grosvenor House, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Dubai and Sheraton Grand Hotel, Dubai.
Matthew Waters, Group Director of Golf, Saadiyat Beach Golf Club, Yas Links Abu Dhabi said, “The Links Fundraiser was an unforgettable day out for our participating amateur golfers to compete in. All those involved were treated to a great day out and no doubt enjoyed a unique experience, yet more important is the role that events such as these play in terms of raising much-needed funds for good causes and we were delighted to have Operation Smile UAE onboard as this year’s official charity.”
Other Course Highlights
- New state-of-the-art accommodation to improve overall experience for golfers at PGA NovaWorld Phan Thiet
- New Integrated Software installed at the PGA NovaWorld Phan Thiet in Vietnam
- Vietnam’s newest premier golf destination joins Asian Golf Industry Federation and International Association of Golf Tour Operators
- Sentosa’s Serapong Reaches New Heights in Golf Digest World’s 100 Greatest Golf Courses
- Greg Norman-Designed PGA NovaWorld Phan Thiet is Nominated for World’s Best New Golf Course’ at World Golf Awards
- PGA NovaWorld Phan Thiet Welcomes International Visitors as Vietnam Reopens Border
- KLGCC’s Sustainability Efforts Achieve International Recognition at Energy Management Leadership Awards 2021
- Troon Golf and Emaar Hospitality Group Mark 20TH Anniversary of Partnership with Celebratory Event
- KGA Welcomes New Golf Course Superintendent
- Yas Links Abu Dhabi Partners with Marriott Business Council to Raise Funds for Operation Smile UAE
- More news...