adidas Steps Forward with Sustainable Products in Golf
adidas is taking yet another step forward in offering more sustainable products for golfers by introducing both apparel and footwear that features recycled technical material: PRIMEBLUE. This special capsule is just part of adidas’ commitment to continue to innovate in the area of sustainability until they reach their goal to use only recycled polyester in all of their products by 2024. The products featured include polos, layering pieces and shorts, along with the new CODECHAOS21 footwear.
PRIMEBLUE is adidas’ high-performance recycled material that’s made in part with Parley Ocean Plastic. These plastics were intercepted from beaches, coastal communities and shorelines, preventing them from polluting our oceans. adidas took that plastic waste and turned it into a performance solution. Every day, the equivalent of 1440 dump trucks of plastic waste enter oceans, so this is one small way to keep some waste out of the oceans and use it for a purpose.
For apparel products to be considered PRIMEBLUE, they must meet a minimum standard of 40 percent recycled content overall. The products highlighted as part of this range have a minimum of 95 percent, with a majority being made with 100 percent recycled polyester.
“Our goals are ambitious to eliminate all virgin polyester from our line, but this offering shows just how close we are to getting there,” said Shaun Madigan, director of global apparel, adidas Golf. “We pushed ourselves in new ways with design and materials development to bring this apparel to life. We know golfers around the world will appreciate the performance features, but they will also feel good about buying a product that in a small way saves our oceans from plastic waste.”
The apparel featured as part of this line includes:
- Two-Tone Pique Polo (men’s) – made with 100 percent recycled polyester
- Features a hybrid set-in raglan sleeve with a medium-weight breathable fabric
- Short-Sleeve Polo (women’s) – made with 100 percent recycled polyester
- Soft, lightweight feel, all in a modern silhouette
- RDY Polo (men’s) – made with 100 percent recycled polyester
- Breathable feel, specifically designed to keep golfers cool in hot weather
- Quarter-zip Jacket (men’s) – made with 95 percent recycled polyester
- Light, wind-resistant fabric with a subtle v-neck opening and water-resistant sleeves
- Quarter-zip Jacket (women’s) – made with 97 percent recycled polyester
- Lightweight with a Raglan sleeve construction to enhance movement through the swing
- Shorts (men’s and women’s) – men’s made with 95 percent; women’s made with 100 percent recycled polyester
- Men’s features a ventilated heavy mesh fabric with front and back pockets
- Women’s features a four-inch inseam with two front-zip pockets to go along with one back open pocket
- Sleeveless racerback (women’s) – made with 100 percent recycled polyester
- Stylish look with racerback construction featuring a quarter-zip mock collar
A snapback hat made with 100 percent recycled polyester featuring our unique PRIMEBLUE logo will also be offered as part of the line. Select polos from this line will also be worn by Dustin Johnson and Xander Schauffele at the U.S. Open.
Another area adidas is pushing boundaries when it comes to more sustainable products is with the footwear. adidas is excited to introduce the new CODECHAOS21.
Designed to disrupt and redefine what golf footwear can look and feel like, adidas has enhanced the upper to feature a sporty design aesthetic while being made with the PRIMEBLUE recycled yarns that contain more than 50 percent Parley Ocean Plastic. This textile upper goes beyond just recycled content. It’s also waterproof (one-year warranty) to provide solid protection if golfers ever find themselves facing the elements. As part of the upper made with recycled materials, adidas has included overlapping microfiber panels on both the lateral and medial side of the shoe to give golfers more stability and protection when they play. It will be offered in multiple colourways, including a special scarlet and white colourway.
Golfers will still be grateful for the spikeless outsole featuring the TWISTGRIP technology where heat-map studies are used to determine the most optimal location for the lugs, providing all players with the best grip possible. Many other features that golfers are used to seeing from the original CODECHAOS line will be found with CODECHAOS21: full-length boost cushioning for added comfort and the torsion X stability bar for added stability throughout the swing. It’s yet another lightweight option within the footwear offering that all golfers will appreciate.
“We completely disrupted the market when we first introduced CODECHAOS last year,” said Masun Denison, global footwear director, adidas Golf. “Building upon the success of that first model, CODECHAOS21 continues to redefine the definition of what a golf shoe can be by bringing the personality and performance that golfers will expect, just now in a more sustainable package. It’s a true example of where performance meets purpose.”
Models of CODECHAOS21 with the BOA® Fit System will also be offered for both men and women*. The BOA application for CODECHAOS21 features an advanced sequence lacing for designated pressure distribution, an overlapping panel for a secure and stable fit and the L6 dial platform featuring a softer TX4 lace. The BOA Fit System also includes FormTX guides for micro-adjustability and customised fit.
Both the PRIMEBLUE apparel and CODECHAOS21 footwear are available now at adidas.com, the adidas app and at select retailers worldwide.
*Models vary by region. Check adidas.com to see which models are offered.
Other Equipment News
- Tee Up from Home or the Driving Range with the New Garmin Approach R10
- Callaway JAWS Full Toe Wedge Designed to Give Golfers Shot Control
- Introducing the New Contour Series/Contour Casual Comfort Reigns Supreme
- New FJ Footwear for Women
- Ecco Golf Re-Signs Two-Time Major Winner Lydia Ko
- Titleist Introduces New U•505 Utility and T200 Long Irons
- Titleist Introduces Next Generation T-Series Irons
- FJ Summer/Fall 2021 Apparel Collection
- New Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Putters Re-Imagines the Button Back Design in a Limited Release Offering
- Titleist Introduces Next Generation T-Series Irons at PGA Tour’s Travelers Championship
- More news...