The R&A Appoints Chris Gray as Head of Sustainability and Agronomy for Asia-Pacific
The R&A recently announced the appointment of Chris Gray as the Head of Sustainability and Agronomy for Asia-Pacific.
Recognising the importance of sustainability and environmental matters within the golf industry, The R&A is aiming to encourage the adoption of best practices for golf facility and golf course management with this newly created position which will drive initiatives in the region.
Hailing from Victoria, Australia, Gray has over 30 years of knowledge and experience having worked extensively as an agronomic consultant, golf course superintendent and golf course project manager in the Asia-Pacific, Central Asia and Middle East regions.
Most recently Gray held the position of Director of Agronomy and Golf Redevelopment at The Singapore Island Country Club and has been an agronomic consultant on a number of PGA Tour, European Tour and LPGA tournaments in the region.
Gray will primarily focus on sustainability and will also look to provide agronomic assistance to The R&A’s championships in the region. He will also offer a service to national associations to help with the preparation and presentation of golf courses for staging championships. Gray will be working closely with The R&A’s sustainability and agronomic teams at the Home of Golf, St Andrews.
“The R&A’s vision is to see golf thriving in 50 years-time and creating environmentally sustainable golf courses that maintain or increase playability for golfers is an important part of achieving that goal,” said Dominic Wall, Director – Asia Pacific for The R&A.
“The appointment of a Head of Sustainability and Agronomy for the Asia-Pacific demonstrates our commitment to encouraging sustainability in the region. Chris brings an incredible amount of expertise and skill to the role which will enable him to make a significant contribution to the sport.”
Gray commented, “I am delighted to join The R&A as the Head of Sustainability and Agronomy for the Asia-Pacific region. I am passionate about sustainability in golf and how in particular golf can be a leader in best practices for golf course development and management.
“Golf is an outdoor pursuit and we are privileged to enjoy the benefits of being amongst nature. It is our responsibility to look after this environment and I look forward to playing a key role in leading the best practices and advising on sustainable golf course management in the region.”
Gray will be based in The R&A’s Singapore office and will be with the organisation on the 1st of March 2020.
Other Course Highlights
- Toro Throws Weight Behind AGIF Expo
- The R&A Appoints Chris Gray as Head of Sustainability and Agronomy for Asia-Pacific
- Golfer’s Terrace Brings You All Time Local Favorite Dish!
- International Golf Publication Recognition for TPC Kuala Lumpur
- Major Champion Henrik Stenson Supports Environmental Campaign at the SMBC Singapore Open
- TPC Kuala Lumpur Kicks Off 2020 with a Bang!
- Laguna Lăng Cô Continues To Push The Boundaries After Being Awarded EarthCheck Gold Certification
- Kota Permai Golf & Country Club Ascends to Asia Pacific Level With Historic Wins at 2019 Asian Golf Awards
- Singapore’s Sentosa Golf Club Crowned ‘World’s Best Golf Club’ at World Golf Awards
- Culinary Pleasures at TPC Kuala Lumpur for November
- More news...