New French Golf Resort Development to Become a European Tour Destination
Sparben Golf Resort – a new mixed-use development which will be located in Tosse, near Biarritz, France – has been announced as the next addition to the European Tour Properties network.
The 240-hectare estate is set to contain 45 holes of golf, a spa hotel, residential and tourism accommodation, as well as sports and fitness facilities.
Located in the heart of a dynamic tourism area in the region of New Aquitaine (35 km from Biarritz, 165 km from Bordeaux, 10 km from the beaches of the Atlantic), the resort is intended to be a world-class golf destination, with its two 18-hole courses designed by European golf legend Colin Montgomerie and former Ryder Cup player Jean van de Velde.
Project planning authority Syndicat Mixte Landes Océanes is currently looking to select a Master Developer to bring the project to life, which is a first of its kind in Les Landes region of southwestern France, and once completed will stand alongside other European Tour Properties venues in France; Le Golf National in Paris and Terre Blanche Hotel Spa Golf Resort in Provence.
Eight-time European Tour Order of Merit winner Colin Montgomerie said of the new development: “While my golf career has taken me to many places around the world, and my work as a golf course designer has presented many unique opportunities, there are very few sites that I’ve been involved with that have as much potential as Sparben Golf Resort.
“The combination of heather, sand and pine brings to mind some of the truly great courses I’ve ever played – those of Scotland, my homeland, as well as England, Australia and the north western coastline of the United States.”
Once complete, the resort will offer a broad range of facilities including:
- An 18-hole Colin Montgomerie-designed course
- Jean van de Velde’s first 18-hole layout
- A nine-hole short course
- A state-of-the-art golf academy
- A 4* Hotel and Spa with 80-100 bedrooms and conference facilities
- A holiday village with 100 residential units
- Multiple sport and leisure facilities, comprising a wellness centre, tennis courts, indoor and outdoor pools, aquatic games, a multisport field and a traditional trinquet court.
Jean Van de Velde, who calls the region home, said: “I sincerely believe that we can realise in Tosse a layout with a unique and authentic character that will find its place among the world’s most elite golf courses, with the design highlighting the splendour of Les Landes.”
The real estate offering will feature 190 frontline golf villa plots available for sale on the southern part of the resort, 100 holiday rental properties which will generate a yield for their owners, and the final residential development area will be designed to provide 500 housing units for the anticipated growth in local population (a 22 per cent increase by 2040 in Les Landes). In addition, there will be a commercial area with bars, restaurants and shops.
David MacLaren, Head of European Tour Properties, said: “Sparben Golf Resort is one of the most exciting golf resorts in development at the moment, and we can’t wait to proudly welcome them to our network.”
Syndicat Mixte Landes Océanes launched a tender in September in order to select a Master Developer, which will be free to bring together its own team of investors and resort operators (golf management, hotel and tourist residence, real estate developers).
The European Tour Properties network includes some of the most prestigious golf and lifestyle resorts in Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia, with many of the venues home to courses which consistently feature prominently in international rankings. European Tour Destinations also host an array of prestigious tournaments, including the Ryder Cup.
Other Course Highlights
- Sunningdale Golf Club to Host 2020 Senior Open Presented by Rolex
- ‘Lambaian Rasa’ Fasting Month Feast at TPC Kuala Lumpur
- Argentario Golf Resort & Spa Opens Stylish New Club House in Time for 2019 Golf Season
- Walmer & Kingsdown, Known as ‘The Club on the Cliffs’, Joins Golf in Kent Partnership
- Golfing Stars Touch Down in King Abdullah Economic City for the Saudi International
- Only Sentosa Delivers at SMBC Singapore Open
- Sentosa Golf Club’s Dragon’s Tail Set to Help Keep Things Green on the Serapong Course
- Any Development on Hong Kong Golf Club Would be an Act of Environmental Vandalism
- The Els Club Desaru Coast Introduces New Packages for Avid Golfers to Improve their Game Under Expert Tutelage
- 99° East Golf Club – Langkawi’s Latest Golfing Playground
- More news...