Sentosa Golf Club’s Serapong Course Claims the Title of Singapore’s Best Golf Course at the 5th Annual World Golf Awards
The Sentosa Golf Club’s Serapong course was voted as ‘Singapore’s Best Golf Course 2018’ at the World Golf Awards. Over the weekend, the formal presentations were made at the La Manga Club in Spain where the biggest names in the golf industry gathered.
As well as launching its #KeepItGreen campaign, designed to increase awareness of golf amongst youngsters and highlight sustainability in golf, Sentosa Golf Club made history in 2018 by becoming the first club to stage four televised golf events in the same year.
Specifically, the Serapong Course played host to the prestigious SMBC Singapore Open this year, which was won by Sergio Garcia. The tournament will return to the Serapong this January (17th-20th), with Garcia confirmed to defend his title and former US Ryder Cup Captain, Davis Love III, also confirmed to attend. The stunning layout is hugely valued by the players and fittingly attracts some of the finest golfers from both the professional and amateur ranks.
The Serapong course was designed by the world-renowned golf course designer, Ronald Fream, and was opened in 1982. More than two decades later, in 2007, the layout was re-sculpted by the talented golf course architect and the club’s current general manager, Andy Johnston. Johnston, who was with Bates Golf Design at the time, made developments to the course which resulted in new and improved configurations, comprising vast bunker complexes and faster and more challenging greens. Today, it’s trademark contours, extended stone-lined lakes and the breath-taking Singapore harbour backdrop, make for an exquisite game that is currently ranked in Golf Digest’s ‘World’s Greatest Golf Courses’.
On receiving one of golf tourism’s highest accolades, Andy Johnston, Sentosa General Manager, commented: “Sentosa is honoured to have been recognised for its excellence, especially by The World Golf Awards. Receiving the award is a testament to the club’s efforts to present its two championship courses in a condition that is going to impress not only members and guests but at an international and professional level. It is remarkable achievements like this that motivate Sentosa Golf Club to continue to develop and improve its facilities so that it becomes Singapore’s undisputed leader.”
The World Golf Awards are voted for by leading golf tourism professionals as well as hundreds of thousands of golf consumers worldwide, serving to recognise and celebrate commitment to excellence in golf tourism.
Other Course Highlights
- Ernie Els Shares Designs for the Future with The Els Club Malaysia
- TPC Kuala Lumpur Excels Again at the 2018 Asian Golf Awards
- Sentosa Golf Club’s Serapong Course Claims the Title of Singapore’s Best Golf Course at the 5th Annual World Golf Awards
- Abu Dhabi and Saadiyat Beach Golf Clubs Confirm Major Tour Events Schedule
- Costa Navarino Announces José María Olazábal as the Designer of Major New Golf Course Development at Navarino Hills
- Nicklaus’ Legacy in Johor
- New Captain of The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews Drives In
- Laguna Lăng Cô Resort in Vietnam Receive Recognition
- Meru Valley Resort Score a Double Win at the Asia-Wide Tourism Awards
- Els Club Malaysia Joins the Troon International App to Allow Simpler Tee Time Bookings
- More news...