Sentosa Golf Club’s Serapong Course Claims the Title of Singapore’s Best Golf Course at the 5th Annual World Golf Awards
The Sentosa Golf Club’s Serapong course was voted as ‘Singapore’s Best Golf Course 2018’ at the World Golf Awards. Over the weekend, the formal presentations were made at the La Manga Club in Spain where the biggest names in the golf industry gathered.
As well as launching its #KeepItGreen campaign, designed to increase awareness of golf amongst youngsters and highlight sustainability in golf, Sentosa Golf Club made history in 2018 by becoming the first club to stage four televised golf events in the same year.
Specifically, the Serapong Course played host to the prestigious SMBC Singapore Open this year, which was won by Sergio Garcia. The tournament will return to the Serapong this January (17th-20th), with Garcia confirmed to defend his title and former US Ryder Cup Captain, Davis Love III, also confirmed to attend. The stunning layout is hugely valued by the players and fittingly attracts some of the finest golfers from both the professional and amateur ranks.
The Serapong course was designed by the world-renowned golf course designer, Ronald Fream, and was opened in 1982. More than two decades later, in 2007, the layout was re-sculpted by the talented golf course architect and the club’s current general manager, Andy Johnston. Johnston, who was with Bates Golf Design at the time, made developments to the course which resulted in new and improved configurations, comprising vast bunker complexes and faster and more challenging greens. Today, it’s trademark contours, extended stone-lined lakes and the breath-taking Singapore harbour backdrop, make for an exquisite game that is currently ranked in Golf Digest’s ‘World’s Greatest Golf Courses’.
On receiving one of golf tourism’s highest accolades, Andy Johnston, Sentosa General Manager, commented: “Sentosa is honoured to have been recognised for its excellence, especially by The World Golf Awards. Receiving the award is a testament to the club’s efforts to present its two championship courses in a condition that is going to impress not only members and guests but at an international and professional level. It is remarkable achievements like this that motivate Sentosa Golf Club to continue to develop and improve its facilities so that it becomes Singapore’s undisputed leader.”
The World Golf Awards are voted for by leading golf tourism professionals as well as hundreds of thousands of golf consumers worldwide, serving to recognise and celebrate commitment to excellence in golf tourism.
Other Course Highlights
- Sentosa Golf Club’s Dragon’s Tail Set to Help Keep Things Green on the Serapong Course
- Any Development on Hong Kong Golf Club Would be an Act of Environmental Vandalism
- The Els Club Desaru Coast Introduces New Packages for Avid Golfers to Improve their Game Under Expert Tutelage
- 99° East Golf Club – Langkawi’s Latest Golfing Playground
- New French Golf Resort Development to Become a European Tour Destination
- European Tour Properties Welcomes Second Bulgarian Destination
- Tanjong Puteri’s Upgraded Plantation Course Re-Opens for Play
- The Els Club Malaysia Desaru Coast Wins Malaysia Tourism Council Gold for ‘Best Resort Course 2018’
- Club and Turfgrass Management Seminars for Golf Clubs in the South
- Meru Valley EcoVillage Wins Best Northern Development at iProperty Awards
- More news...