TPC Kuala Lumpur’s 18-Hole West Course Upgrade is Complete and Reopens on 31 August 2018.
“The 10-month intensive project was focused on providing improved playing surfaces by changing the turf on the course to more developed and enhanced grass species. Golfers can expect another level of golfing experience with the new resurfaced turf,” said Steven Thielke, Chief Executive Officer of TPC Kuala Lumpur. The course, however, will close from 17 September to 17 October 2018 to make way for the CIMB Classic happening on 11 to 14 October.
The new grasses are identical to those at TPC Sawgrass, home to The Players Championship which is the PGA TOUR’s annual flagship tournament in the United States. Whilst TifEagle Bermuda grass has been planted on the greens to provide a consistently fast and true putting surface, Celebration Bermuda grass has been planted on all the tee boxes and fairways, as well as bunker and green surrounds.
“The new fairways will now have more run, and the new green surrounds can be mown short to provide run-off areas so as to allow for a variety of recovery shots to be played on a firmer playing surface,” Thielke explained.
In addition, modifications were made to holes 4, 7, 12, 14, 16 and 17 as well as a new 80-yard short game practice area which has also been built as part of the upgrading project along with the addition of a new practice putting green.
This upgrading project has been headed by TPC Kuala Lumpur Head of Agronomy, Mohd Nizam Othman, Vice President of Design Services of PGA Tour, Stephen Wenzloff, course architect from Parslow and Winter Golf Design; Jason Winter and Chief Executive Officer of TPC Kuala Lumpur; Steven Thielke.
“This project is a combination of feedback from various constituents from club members, PGA Tour players and Rules Officials, the course architect from Parslow and Winter Golf Design, and the TPCKL Agronomy team. All the feedback was taken into consideration to ensure the new West Course is more competitive and beneficial to all parties,” Wenzloff commented, adding that the West Course, the home of the PGA Tour’s CIMB Classic, is in prime condition for the upcoming tournament.
After getting a sneak preview of the new West Course, David Frost; renowned course rater from the World’s Top 100 Golf Courses stated that the hard work by the team at TPC Kuala Lumpur is nothing less than the best of the best. “There are hardly any weak holes on the course and how privileged are the Members of TPC Kuala Lumpur to be able to play regularly on a course like this,” was Frost’s most outstanding comment.
“Nizam and his team have also put in a tremendous effort to enhance the overall aesthetics that include landscaping, open water features and lake edges. This is one of our unique ways to deliver world-class services and experiences to our Members at every touch point,” said Thielke.
Bookings for the West Course start on 26 August 2018 by calling 03 – 2011 9111 / 269 or register directly at TPC Kuala Lumpur’s Golf Registration counter.
Other Course Highlights
- Sunningdale Golf Club to Host 2020 Senior Open Presented by Rolex
- ‘Lambaian Rasa’ Fasting Month Feast at TPC Kuala Lumpur
- Argentario Golf Resort & Spa Opens Stylish New Club House in Time for 2019 Golf Season
- Walmer & Kingsdown, Known as ‘The Club on the Cliffs’, Joins Golf in Kent Partnership
- Golfing Stars Touch Down in King Abdullah Economic City for the Saudi International
- Only Sentosa Delivers at SMBC Singapore Open
- Sentosa Golf Club’s Dragon’s Tail Set to Help Keep Things Green on the Serapong Course
- Any Development on Hong Kong Golf Club Would be an Act of Environmental Vandalism
- The Els Club Desaru Coast Introduces New Packages for Avid Golfers to Improve their Game Under Expert Tutelage
- 99° East Golf Club – Langkawi’s Latest Golfing Playground
- More news...