Sentosa Golf Club Recognised for Going Green at World Golf Awards
Sentosa Golf Club has been nominated for Best Eco-Friendly Golf Facility in the 2018 edition of the World Golf Awards, as their efforts to become environmentally friendly and sustainable continue to be recognised.
Voting for the awards closes in four weeks and alongside the nomination in one of the headline categories, the club is also up for Singapore’s Best Golf Course, as it continues to successfully host globally recognised events across the major worldwide Tours.
The nomination in the Best Eco-Friendly Golf Facility is testament to Sentosa’s efforts to ‘go green’ after launching #KeepItGreen at the SMBC Singapore Open back in January this year, a campaign aimed specifically at raising the need for sustainable practices within golf.
Through the installation of six interconnected lakes across its New Tanjong course, the club is completely self-sufficient when it comes to irrigation. It has also banned the use of plastic water bottles on its golf carts, instead favouring the installation of several water stations on course, an initiative that expects to save 150,000 water bottles each year.
Its clubhouse was recently recognised with the highest level of award for environmental performance (BCA Green Mark Platinum), becoming the first clubhouse at any golf club in Singapore to be accredited.
On receiving the nominations, Andy Johnston, Sentosa General Manager and Director of Agronomy, commented: “Sentosa is proud to have been recognised for their eco-friendly work, especially by the World Golf Awards, and everyone at the club is dedicated to supporting #KeepItGreen so that we can continue to target very relevant issues which have a massive bearing for our futures.”
Johnston has played a hands-on role with the eco-initiatives. Along with his design team, he embarked on a tree-saving initiative, in which over 300 different species were extricated from the Old Tanjong, kept in an on-site ‘tree nursery’ throughout the project and then replanted on the New Tanjong.
Sentosa’s second nomination for Singapore’s Best Golf Course also comes after somewhat of a landmark year for the venue. Johnston added: “On top of being credited for our sustainable practices, I believe the second nomination comes from having two courses in such great condition, that are tournament ready. Our hosting of the Asian Tour’s SMBC Singapore Open was the first of four globally significant events staged at the club. This was followed by the inaugural Women’s Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship and the LPGA Tour’s HSBC Women’s World Championship and the 10thAsia-Pacific Amateur Championship will also take place here in October 2018.”
Other Course Highlights
- Sunningdale Golf Club to Host 2020 Senior Open Presented by Rolex
- ‘Lambaian Rasa’ Fasting Month Feast at TPC Kuala Lumpur
- Argentario Golf Resort & Spa Opens Stylish New Club House in Time for 2019 Golf Season
- Walmer & Kingsdown, Known as ‘The Club on the Cliffs’, Joins Golf in Kent Partnership
- Golfing Stars Touch Down in King Abdullah Economic City for the Saudi International
- Only Sentosa Delivers at SMBC Singapore Open
- Sentosa Golf Club’s Dragon’s Tail Set to Help Keep Things Green on the Serapong Course
- Any Development on Hong Kong Golf Club Would be an Act of Environmental Vandalism
- The Els Club Desaru Coast Introduces New Packages for Avid Golfers to Improve their Game Under Expert Tutelage
- 99° East Golf Club – Langkawi’s Latest Golfing Playground
- More news...